Ski Waxing Vises
Attribution - Non Commercial - CC BY - NC
Description can be found here(site is cutting off text): http://pastebin.com/CCkgUfjc
These vises were designed to assist in waxing downhill skis. They were modeled after SWIX Power Pro Vise (http://www.swixsport.com/Products/Wax-Tuning/Tuning-Equipment/Vises/Power-Pro-Vise).
There are a lot of parts for this project that need to be purchased and printed.
The purchased items include:
- Surface Grip. You will need about a 4" by 6" sheet with self adhesive backing. A sheet costs about $1.99.
- 1/4" 28 Thread 1 1/2" long Hex Cap Bolts (x2). This is used for clamping the top piece of the side clamp to the bottom piece of the side clamp. Each bolt costs $.39 = $.78
- 1/4" 28 Thread Hex Nut (x2) used in to secure bolt. Each costs $.39 = $.78
- 1/4" 20 Thread 2" long Hex Cap Bolt (x2). This is used to clamp the skis in when in sharpening mode. Each costs $.40 = $.80
- 1/4" 20 Thread 6" long Hex Cap Bolt (x1). This is used to clamp the ski into the vise. It costs $.59
- 1/4" 20 Thread 4" long Hex Cap Bolt (x3). This is used to clamp to the table. Each costs $.39 = $1.17
- 1/4" 20 Thread Hex Nut (x6) used in to secure all 20 thread bolts. Each costs $.03 = $.18
- Stainless steel 200mm by 3mm round rod stock (x4). Used as guide rods for vise. Each costs $.62 = $2.48
Printed Parts (all at 50mm/sec and .12mm layer height):
- Side_Clamps_Ski_Clamp_Knob (x2). Infill: 35% Cost: $.16 = $.32
- Side_Clamps_Ski_Clamp_Head (x2). Infill: 100% Cost: $.08 = $.16
- Side_Clamps_TopPiece (x2). Infill: 100% Cost: $4.33= $8.66
- straight_Knobs_HeightAdjustment_and_MainClamp(x3). Infill: 35% Cost: $.25 = $.75
- Middle_Clamp_Offside(x1). Infill: 35% Cost: $2.98 = $2.98
- Middle_Clamp_MainSide_BottomPiece(x1). Infill: 100% Cost: $1.98 = $1.98
- Middle_Clamp_MainSide_TopPiece(x1). Infill: 35% Cost: $3.60 = $3.60
- Middle_Clamp_MainSide_SupportPlateForGuideRods(x1). Infill: 35% Cost: $.36 = $.36
- All_Clamps_Knobs(x3) Infill: 35% Cost: $.27 = $.81
- All_Clamps_Clamp_Head(x3) Infill: 100% Cost: $.06 = $.18
- Side_Clamps_BottomPiece(x2) Infill: 100% Cost: $3.73 = $7.46
Total Cost: $36.03
This vise originally costed $360.00 but is currently on sale on amazon for $250.00 (http://www.amazon.com/Swix-Power-Pro-Vise-2016/dp/B014SCGHMA) this is a cost savings of $213.97 or a saving of 85.6% of the sale price (90% of original).
There are other types of ski vises that have less feature that are cheaper. The cheapest one I could find on amazon is this one http://www.amazon.com/Both-Snowboard-Swix-T-Bar-FreeRide/dp/B00EVQY6U4/ref=sr_1_51?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1449622160&sr=1-51&keywords=ski+vise that costs $71.67 on sale. This is a cost savings of $35.64 or 50%.
For assembly instructions see youtube video linked below.
Comments are currently disabled while we look at different options. Did you like having comments?
Contact us and let us know! We are actively developing and adding to the website
so that we can further support the community, so we would love to hear from you!